The government has increased the weekly emergency COVID-19 welfare payment to €350 a week.
It's also approved a scheme for the government to pay up to 70 per cent of a workers' salary.
Part of a massive social welfare package approved at cabinet includes a significant increase in the COVID-19 unemployment payment.
Today, we announced new actions to help stop the spread of Covid 19. I am asking you to stay at home if at all possible. You should only leave home to go to work, if you have to, & only go to the shops for essential supplies. We need to flatten the curve & suppress this virus. pic.twitter.com/VO3fM3ckwo— Leo Varadkar (@LeoVaradkar) March 24, 2020
Paschal Donohoe says Coronavirus will see an economic crisis like no other where otherwise healthy and viable businesses have been struck down
The Finance Minister says the €410 income supplement will be tax free and the criteria will be a "minimum 25% decline in turnover or inability to pay employees" that's set down in guidelines
Employees and the self-employed who have lost all their work because of the Coronavirus can get that payment.
The government has also approved a measure that will see it pay up to 70 per cent of an employees weekly income - as long as the employer pays the other 30%
That will be capped at 410 euro a week from the government and is designed to keep as many people in employment as possible while the crisis continues.
All theatres, clubs, haridressers are to shut.
Hotels to restrict occupancy as much as possible.
All cafes and restaurants to be takeaway only.
Varadkar says construction sites and factories do not have to be shut but physical distancing can be employed.
No travel within or outside Ireland should happen unless it's absolutely necessary.
All planned cruise ship travel to Ireland will cease.
All sporting events even behind closed doors are cancelled.
Leo Varadkar says this is not a lockdown - he does not want to use that term.
Companies can benefit from 70% back from the government if they keep people employed and pay the other 30%
This will be capped at 38,000 salary a year or €410 a week from the government.
Private hospitals will work as public hospitals which should add 2,000 beds. They agreed to do that free of charge.
Today our Public Health Emergency Team has made important recommendations in our efforts to slow the spread of #coronavirus. Thank you for all you are doing. Together, we must now do more. Together, we will save lives #COVID19 pic.twitter.com/zaer7Hw99O— Simon Harris TD (@SimonHarrisTD) March 24, 2020